Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reclaim day

Yesterday and today I have been working with reclaim clay. I do a very low tech reclaim by throwing it in a bucket, adding water and then aging. It usually ends up being very soft and very saturated clay. It takes forever to dry. I would imagine it shrinks more than usual, too. But it always feels good to empty one of the myriad of buckets hanging around the studio.

Got the new Ceramics Monthly and enjoyed several articles on A Potter's Life. One of the things that has been on my mind is how to work around an aging body. I have been experiencing some hip soreness and experimenting with different throwing positions. The only sure thing that works for me is to get up lots, stretch and alternate tasks so I am not standing or sitting for extended times.

Watched a lovely movie called SILK, a period piece about the silk trade, silk worm eggs and Japan. The scenery was incredibly beautiful.

No comments: