Thursday, August 2, 2007

Clean up and spruce up


Today was a "clean house" day at the studio. I have been moving tables around in the hand building section, trying to get an arrangement that I am happy with. Of course, when you move one thing, it leads to another, and at the end of the day I had cleared out cabinet space, gone through all my forms that the class uses to slump clay in, moved shelves, reorganized the texturing stuff, set up new shelves for the clay storage and put away glaze materials that have been sitting out for a good month. Tomorrow I plan on dusting and mopping from front to back and then everything should be in it's place and I can start throwing again.

Sometimes when I have a lot of unfinished things going on at once, it helps me to focus on getting the clutter out of the way physically. Then my mental space seems to free up.

I got the proof for my new "sandwich" sign today. The wooden one that my son built for me 2 years ago has about had it. The new one will be an improvement over the chipped and peeling one. I have been moving towards slowly sprucing up the exterior of the gallery. My friend put up some shutters on the front windows and I planted some nice big planters with Alberta spruces and potato vine. After the fall shows I hope to get a colorful awning for the front door.

Over the next month or so, my friend Dan will open up a section of the wall between two of my gallery rooms. I think it will be nice to have the sense that you can see from one room to the next. Will try to get some photos of the changes as they occur.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Hey I can totally relate to the clutter thing. I need to come by the studio sometime for a visit. I'd love to see what you've been working on . Thanks for the info you sent. Hope to see you soon.
Ron