Saturday, March 15, 2008

Custom work


These are some sauce bowls that someone came into the studio and decided they would like them personalized for a family reunion. After much stressing on how I could accomplish this, I found these great china painting pens which can be fired on. They also have them for glass. I don't know what is in them, but they hold to a vertical surface without pooling or dripping. You fire them between 300 and 350 degrees for about a half of an hour.
That means I got to bake them in my oven, rather than my kiln because I could not figure out how to program such a short, cold firing. I was pleased with the results and so was the customer and I see possible future post firings, especially for sculptural work. Now all I have to do is get smarter than my computerized kiln controller.



No comments: