Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rethinking the economy

After returning from the NC Potters Conference, I have done some rethinking about work, classes, going greener in the studio, etc. All of these relate to the economic situation, mine particularly. I spent some hours putting together my "marketing" plan for the year. That mostly means how and when I will contact my pottery public, whether it is retail or wholesale. I made a decision to only work out of the gallery this spring and summer, except for the committments I had already accepted. This will allow me to make more work for the wholesale side that I started in July of last year and also to set up a retail online store for some of the non-wholesale work that I produce. I do feel like I am juggling all aspects of the pottery world like no other time since I started selling work in 1997.

On the work side, I have been doing some wholesale orders and getting the studio back in shape. Much disarray in the gallery side led to hours of moving pots and cleaning/dusting. It's almost back there! Stop in and visit if you are in the area.

3 comments:

Jen Mecca said...

I've always thought your gallery looks super clean! Good luck with the year and sales..hope you enjoyed the conferance. I heard it was a good one. Jen

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hi Vicki- Wow, you have a lot of irons in the fire. I need to follow your lead and create a marketing plan for myself. I'm guilty of carrying it around in my head, which means that it's always changing and refocusing. Not a good idea!

Vicki Gill, potter said...

I did enjoy the conference, Jen. Got a video of Phil Rogers and have enjoyed watching it while home. Has some very interesting commentary by Mr. Pucker, of the Pucker Gallery in Boston.

Patricia, I have to put it on paper or it makes me crazy trying to remember what I meant to do. Just my own self-preservation, I suppose.