Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thoughts on making sculptural things

I have made a series of sculptural pieces throughout the years. They have ranged from pretty small to medium large (between 24 and 30" tall). They are not functional at all but often folks would try to create a function for them when I included them in my display at shows. One person asked me if it could be converted to a lamp. Another asked if she could use one as an umbrella stand in the hall. Funny...
Yesterday one of my favorites left the gallery for a new home where it would be displayed and enjoyed for what it was. Sculpture. No function needed. The new owner asked me how I felt about it going away. I said that I enjoy making things that others love and will find a place for in their home but that's only part of the story. When I stopped and thought of the other pieces in the series that have found homes over the years, it made me glad. I know when I make these that it will take some time for them to sell so more than likely I will get to live with them awhile. Yet I still continue to make a very limited number of them, understanding they are for a few select folks who will find their way into the gallery and discover them.
I guess I realized that those sculptural pieces started out being made strictly for me. They are an urge to bring into the physical universe an idea that has delighted me. Then they become the idea itself, a complete whole thought and I move out of the equation. In that, they are different than my pottery, because my urge to create functional work is dual--creating shapes that delight me but for others who will find them beautiful and useful.
I know this sounds jumbled and may even fall under the category of "artspeak" which I really hate. Just some rambling around trying to pin down the whys of what motivates me to make certain types of work. Enough thinking, it's time for a little doing.... have a good day!

1 comment:

Tracey Broome said...

Well said! I have some tea bowls that I need to have for our sale in a couple of weeks, but I really don't want to part with them. This is a good way to think about them going away.
tracey